Positive Approach to Dementia Care Workshop by the Dementia Support Program at NWRC, with Christina Coiro Certified Independent Trainer.
This two-part workshop is being offered free of charge by the Dementia Support Program at NWRC.
Part 2: Thursday, December 15th, 2022
Sedro Woolley Senior Center
715 Pacific St.
Sedro Woolley, WA 98284
1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Positive Physical ApproachTM & Hand-under-Hand
This workshop helps learners understand how to adapt how we interact when the other person’s brain is changing. This workshop will include explanations of how the brain is changing when someone is living with dementia and what care partners can do to be supportive.
Learners will practice the use of Positive Physical ApproachTM(PPA) and Hand-under-Hand®, developed by Teepa Snow. Both techniques are based in
building relationships and doing with people instead of to people.
- Describe changes in visual processing
- Compare and contrast traditional social greeting and communication efforts with PPA as it relates to reactions and responses from the person living with dementia.
- Demonstrate PPA in simulated situations
- Describe the purpose and value of using the Hand-under-Hand® technique with people living with dementia.
- Demonstrate Hand-under-Hand® to promote mobility and assistance with ADLs